Edgewater Baptist Church is a Southern Baptist Church situated in the heart of the Gentilly community of New Orleans.
Edgewater Baptist Church was founded on October 19, 1951. Initially, Edgewater did not have a building and was allowed to meet in local theaters. Edgewater held morning services in the Gentilly Theatre and evening services in the Pitt Theatre. Eventually, Edgewater purchased land and completed the first structure in December of 1955. The first worship service was held on the first Sunday of 1956. As the church grew, other facilities were added in 1959 and 1964. In 2005, Hurricane Katrina devastated the church building. While the church was being rebuilt, the congregation met under a tent in the parking lot. Eventually, the congregation moved into the fellowship hall until the sanctuary was completed in July 2008.